Company: College of Physicians of Philadelphia
Posted on: November 11, 2019
Title: Discovery LibrarianDivision: Historical Medical
LibrarySupervisor's Title: College Librarian/The Robert Austrian
ChairAbout The Historical Medical Library:The Historical Medical
Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia (Birthplace of
American Medicine) is one of the largest medical history
collections in the United States with over 325,000 volumes
including monographs, journals, manuscripts, archives, prints,
photographs, pamphlets, and incunabula. It was designated a
historical library in 1996 to recognize its function as a
repository for the history of medicine.Function of Position:The
Discovery Librarian manages a portfolio of digital library
projects, providing the project management framework and technical
know-how needed to complete projectssuccessfully. The Discovery
Librarian explores, recommends, implements and maintains software
tools and frameworks to support digital library activities. They
create and maintain procedural documentation, provide support to
the library staff involved with projects and services, and
participate in the gathering and analysis of use data. As well,
they maintain in-depth knowledge of national standards and best
practices in the realm of metadata and digitization. The Discovery
Librarian will participate in library-wide projects and activities
and is expected to be active professionally.Essential Requirements:
- Master's degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA
- One to three years of successful professional experience with
- Knowledge of or experience working on projects involving: Linux
Rails, MySQL/PostgreSQL, Apache/Nginx, Docker, Samvera/Fedora,
- Experience using AWS (Amazon Web Services) or another
cloud-based web server provider is essential. AWS services
currently in use at the College include EC2, Route 53, Elastic
Beanstalk, Cloud 9, RDS, S3, Glacier etc.
- Familiarity with cataloging and metadata standards/schema,
including EAD. Experience with Dublin Core is essential.
- Knowledge of and experience with current digital collection
management practices and access issues.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies.Preferred
- Experience using an Interactive Development Environment (IDE)
and Git version control in the context of a Ruby on Rails
- Experience with and basic knowledge of Digital Assets
Management best practices.
- Experience using digital library content management systems
such as Omeka.
- Experience with ArchivesSpace.
- Experience handling rare books and manuscripts for
- Strong organizational, customer service, written and verbal
- Excellent project management skills.
- Comfort with learning new skills/technologies and
troubleshooting technical issues.
- Ability to work effectively in a small
- Maintain the College's digital library site built on the Omeka
- Maintain the College's digital exhibitions built on a variety
of platforms including, Omeka-S, Scalar and Neatline
- Maintain the library's archival management site built with
ArchivesSpace and hosted on AWS
- Maintain and further develop the library's new Digital Assets
Management System built on the Samvera Framework and deployed in
AWS Elastic Beanstalk via DockerContainers
- Maintain accounts with Dreamhost, AWS, GitHub, DockerHub,
Google Analytics,Cloudflare, and others in support of digital
- Create and manage metadata for library's digital image
- Create and maintain documentation related to the library's
digital platforms and use of technology
- Participate in activities related to the Medical Heritage
Library consortium including the technical management of
grant-funded digitization projects.
- Manage external digital collections hosted on the Digital
Public Library of America and the Internet Archive.
- Manage Rights and Reproductions for materials from the
- Ability to oversee reference desk as
needed.Salary/Benefits:This is a full-time position that receives a
competitive non-profit salary with generous benefits package.
Keywords: College of Physicians of Philadelphia, Lower Merion , Discovery Librarian, Other , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!